Elounda is located in east Crete, north of Agios Nikolaos and south of the seaside resort of Plaka.
Elounda was once a picturesque fishing village in the lovely Mirabello Bay. The inhabitants lived from farming, fishing, salt extraction from the Venetian saltpans, and emery mining.
Nowadays, Elounda village is the elite area of Crete with the best Luxury Villas, Hotels, Shops and restaurants. It is said to be the place with the most five-star hotels in Greece.
Elounda is ideal for people who want a seaside holiday in a place which is neither too busy nor too isolated. During your stay you shall discover small beaches, islands reached by boats and many little villages.
ELOUNDA’S MUST SEES:
- Explore the picturesque harbor with everything from traditional fishing boats to rowing boats
- Walk to The Sunken City of Olous, the “Lost Atlantis” of Crete
- Take a boat trip to Spinaloga island, the island known from old times as a former leper colony
- Drive to Agios Nikolaos, a seaside town worth exploring and take photos from the verdant park overlooking Lake Voulismeni
- Wander around Fourni Village nestled amongst verdant hills covered in olive trees and vineyards